Summer Jobs 253
Opportunities for the 2023-2024 School year!
New Jobs 253 service opportunities for the 2023-2024 school year are underway! You can join the Jobs 253 interest list to be notified when our new opportunities are open for enrollment.
Coaching Internships will also be available for participation. Please check out our Coaching and Sports Management Internship website here.
BECOME A PARTNER AND HOST A JOBS 253 STUDENT
What Tacoma high school students gain from our Jobs 253 employment program
- 40 hours of job training and experience
- High school credit
- An academic completion bonus
- Basic work readiness
- Resume/interview skills
- Increased self-confidence and personal growth
Jobs 253 offers TPS high school students the opportunity to earn high school credit for graduation while gaining meaningful work experience through 40 hours of work experience and life skills. The City of Tacoma partners in funding up to a $500 stipend (per experience) that students receive when they fulfill the program requirements. During the summer, students have the option of participating in an extended, 80-hour experience for a $1000 stipend.
Note: students who meet the criteria for an 80-hour experience will be contacted directly after completing and fulfilling their 40-hour program requirements. Students will be limited to the number of opportunities they can participate in. Students who have not yet had an experience will be prioritized. Students will also be limited to a maximum stipend-received amount over their entire high school career. Please reach out to your counselor or career guidance specialist for more information.
Students can earn a .5 CTE elective course for completing a self-directed Next Move Intro Course which develops professional skills essential to success in the workplace.
Jobs 253 stipend application process
- Review available Jobs 253 opportunities.
- Complete the Jobs 253 sign-up form. Students must be logged in to their TPS student account to access the form. Completing this form does not guarantee a Jobs 253 placement.
- After completing steps 1 and 2, you will receive an email with the next steps to complete.
If approved and placed in an opportunity, you will receive a confirmation email and then be asked to complete a W9 tax form before starting your experience.
At the end of your experience
You will need to complete and upload the following documents using our Microsoft form to qualify for your credit and stipend at the end of your experience:
- Everfi Financial Literacy Certificate
- Resume: A well-crafted resume can help you stand out when applying for jobs, internships, or college applications. Check out our guide for creating a compelling resume.
- Download Verified Work Hours Form
- Download Jobs 253 Reflection Template
It is your responsibility to complete any necessary requirements and upload your documents appropriately. Failure to satisfy these requirements may impact your eligibility for this program. Students are limited to two Jobs 253 experiences during their academic career.
Why complete a Jobs 253 experience
- Develop meaningful job experience and leadership skills in students.
- Benefit a school, neighborhood, and/or community in specific ways.
- Is deemed safe by parent, guardian, school staff, or organizational staff.
- Student service work hours are completed under the supervision of an approved Jobs 253 partner organization (nonprofit, government agency, or local business).